Saturday, December 30, 2006

 
I’m happy to report that the gathering was a success. Sad that the entire council did not turn up, just the ones who have faithfully attended each year’s reunion, but it’s better than nothing.

We had our usual gift exchange… I didn’t get a gift I would use, but the cutesy cushion would make a lovely bit of softness for my dog to sleep on. Did a lot of chatting… as the night progressed, little little groups formed, interesting conversations had…. I’ve always enjoyed this bit of the reunion the most, when I get to chat with old friends, not just to find out what one another has been doing all year, but to also get philosophical and debate really vague things… the sort of thing idealistic youths would do. And we really cannot consider ourselves youths anymore. To society, we’re young adults.

There were jokes going around about what our 10th year reunion would be like, and I couldn’t help but pause and think, would we still meet faithfully in this manner when that time comes? Someone joked that by then we’ll need a bigger venue, something child-friendly too, perhaps a playground nearby cos by then, there’ll be people coming along with their spouses and kids. Even this year, we only opened a single bottle of wine, and everyone left relatively early, at 1-plus in the morning. I remember the previous year, some had stayed at the host’s place til the next morning then they all trod along in search of some breakfast. But this year, people had to be back home early, to catch some sleep, coz there were matters they had to attend to in the morning. And I stepped back and thought, my my, we’ve all grown up!

It’s frightening… yet exciting at the same time… and also a comfort to know that as we each went along our lives, exploring the unknown future, we will always have the assurance of the company of old friends to fall back on.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home