Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 

Lovely students...

today was the second time i conducted the creative writing class... not too bad... it's amazing how compliant kids can become when the teacher is waving a bag of sweets around... suckers!

the kids are, on the whole, ok... i'm already starting to have some favourites... and some of the girls were pretty fascinated by me... they had started out whispering among themselves, throwing me glances every now and then. i wondered, were they talking about me? you're heard the thing about how some people are so paraniod (or proud) then whenever a group is talking, and one, just one, looks in your direction, you immediately assume the group's discussing terrible things about you.... when in actual fact, they could be talking about something else.

so i ignored the girls, telling myself, 'for goodness' sake woman, the world doesn't go around you!' but then they kept looking in my direction so many times, they HAD to be discussing me. maybe i didn't zip my pants up. i checked; it was in its proper place. maybe i had some ink mark on my face... i discreetly looked at my reflection in the window; nope, just my usual war-paint.

finally, towards the end of the lesson, when i happened to be walking past the table where that particular group of girls were, one of them asked me with a shy smile, "Teacher, are you Malay?"

"Nope, I'm Chinese."

Group of girls chorused: "OOrrhhhh..... but you look Malay leh"

Me: "Maybe coz I have some Peranakan blood"

One girl: "Then you know Malay?"

Me: said in Malay, but i'll give the English translation " a little only!"

One girl: "Ms SgFairy very pretty leh, and the hair very nice!"

I swear the girl said it! Not some fiction of my imagination... nothing to do with the horrible humid heat too...

Lalalalala.... I like compliments... so sue me

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home