Tuesday, January 29, 2008

 

In Memory of Pak Suharto (1921 - 2008)



It’s a little unnerving when a whole bunch of people start to die in the beginning of the new year. I mean, of course, people die everyday… but, you know what I mean. I've been wanting to go to the Indonesia embassy to write in my condolences, but coz of the 10am - 4pm time allocation for such business, it looks like it ain't gonna happen.

There have been so many different news articles about his death… some of them so obviously bias… but I think I liked BBC’s version best, rather neutral, it was. What to do, they are one of the top news agencies around.

I spent a month about 2 years back in Indonesia on a political science study trip. While there, we met up with ex-presidents, ex-army heads, current ministers, political party leaders, activists… and I heard many different opinions about former Indonesian President Suharto.


While there were differing opinions about whether Pak Suharto was Indonesia’s saviour (getting rid of Sukarno and reviving the economy), or whether he was an evil corrupt army dictator (human rights abuses, favoritism towards family and friends), all of them did agree on one thing: Indonesia’s development would still have been in the stone-age if it wasn’t for him.

On that note, here’s cheers to one of ASEAN’s founding fathers and a good former Indonesian president (that’s my opinion)… rest in peace.






********

These past few days have been exhausting physically, mentally, and emotionally in so many levels… I’m looking for that sunrise on the horizon.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home