Tuesday, November 01, 2005

 

Racial Harmony

I just realised something today.... in all my twenty-two years of existence on this earth, I had never been to a Hindu friend's place for Deepavali til today.

Makes me feel rather embarrassed.

I have been to friends' place for Hari Raya... my Malay neighbour gives us food and invites us over to sit every time.

But while I do have Hindu friends, I've never gone to their place for Deepavali.

Kinda reminds me of this letter that was in the papers not too long ago... is it possible that we ethnic Chinese, the majority race in Singapore, are the actual real closed-up lot? That most of the racist people in Singapore now, come from the ethnic Chinese group?

I think that on the whole, the Malays, Indians, 'Others' are more open, welcoming, friendly... more neighbourly.

We Chinese are somehow more closed-up... suspicious...
And sadly... most of the really racist comments I have heard (racial jokes aside) have come from the Chinese... it could be something that is downright demeaning, or stink of a superior attitude that says 'I am a Chinese, all other races are beneath me'.

You would have thought that the majority racial group would be more friendly and stuff since hey, we're not the ones suffering from racist employment stuff. But no, us being the majority group has made us so high-and-mighty that we have become so arrogant and closed-up... and racist. We feed on racial stereotypes... I mean, most of the time, it is from the lips of a Chinese mother talking to her young kid that you hear the 'Don't go near the Singh because they very smelly!"

With the whole terrorism thing happening now, there have been so many calls for the Malay community to open up, mix more with other races, share of themselves so that others can understand them.
And the Malay community has been really going to extra mile to do that.

But what is the point of it all if the Chinese are not willing to listen, participate in these 'racial-bridge-building' activities????
No damn use.

I am not saying that every S'porean Chinese is a racist. I am a S'porean Chinese myself, and while I do find racial jokes quite entertaining, I am no racist.

But I do believe that on the whole, the Chinese community in Singapore has to really look at itself, and ask itself: is it really making an effort, caring to make an effort at racial integration???

It is sad but true... you can feel it in the air... the racial bonds which have held our country together for so long, are weakening.
Compare the times of our parents to that of us today - how many friends of another race do you have?

Unfortunately, I think our government's efforts, the manner by which the MOE has been trying to teach racial and religious harmony, have not been all that successful.
We have to step up.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home