Sunday, August 20, 2006

 

Ai Pai Kai Eh Yei....

(Translation: Must rush, ie. push ahead hard in rat race, then can win)

Went to watch Broadway Beng with my mum just now... it's an excellent production!

Not your typical arty-farty theatre thingy... but more... SBC8 hokkien variety show, mixed with some broadway singing and singlish thrown in for good measure.... and he also sang some of the very famous hokkien songs that even I know! And, lol, he also did the hokkien version of 'Stand Up for Singapore'... that was totally, hahahah...
It's not the sort of production where the 'high-society of towkays and angmohs' will be... I'm not saying it's totally unsophisticated and crude. It's just, well, very hokkien.

Sebastian Tan sings well, and he is really a good stand-up comedien... he is very engaging... and funny... I'm not going to even try telling you about the various things he said coz firstly I do not know how to type hokkien words in english, and secondly, it wun have quite the same effect. Besides, one would also need to have at least some grasp of the dialect...

But ya... at first, I had been skeptical and not very sure if the production would work... I mean, the title 'Broadway Beng' alone sounds weird... but it was truly wonderful, and worth every single cent.

And if Sebastian Tan does another run again... I'll definitely go.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home