Saturday, February 17, 2007

 
my cakes were a success!

as my family always does on cny eve... i started baking butter cake this morning. my mum used to be the one doing that, but i took over last year. because it's something i only do once a year, i was a little apprehensive about how my cake would turn out.

bascially, it's an old family receipe.... what we call a '1 pound' cake. this is because you use 1lb butter, 1 lb sugar, 1lb flour, 10 eggs, 10 tablespoonsful of milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence to get a cake that weighs a pound. fairly simple to remember, the proportions.

we usually bake 2 pounds, meaning 2 portions... then we separate half of the batter, and add cocoa powder and more milk to one-half to get chocolate-flavoured cake. i fill a tin with just plain batter, another tin with chocolate batter. the chocolate one is not very easy to do coz there's no fixed amt of cocoa powder to put in. you put as much as you want for as rich a chocolate cake as you desire, then you have to go by 'feeling' when it comes to adding the milk, to make sure your chocolate cake doesn't become dense... then i mix the remainder together in a tin to create a marble cake. i love doing marble cake... trying to always create nice swirls so my cake will be really pretty.

So my three cakes came out rather well... the plain butter one is a little dry (too long in the oven), but the texture of the chocolate cake and marble cake is great!

lalalala...

I'm guessing you didn't really wanna read about my baking exploits right? lol

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home