Tuesday, May 13, 2008

 

Germany Postcards

Ok... coz I needed a work break, I decided to work on my holiday photographs.

Cos this is supposed to be a 'nameless' blog, there's no pics of myself.. just lots of scenery.

Considering that I spent most of my money on food, drinks, books and sightseeing.. well, you know the sort of pics you're gonna get.

I just realised some of the pics I took were crap in terms of exposure etc.. so bear with it.. I didn't pay too much attention to my camera settings once my holiday started.


First up... food!

This is in a pub in Dusseldorf... where I had to travel to for work each day. We were staying in Koln (pronounced 'Cologne' - this is the English spelling of the place too), about a 20min train ride away. On our last work evening, we decided to treat ourselves to a extra nice meal.

Lots of pubs like this in Germany...


We were a little ambitious in ordering our starters... on the left is a platter of cold cuts; on the right is jellied meat with potatoes - sorta like ham. By ordering like that, we got variety and were able to sample different meats. As always, it comes with German bread, which I've fallen in love with.


One of the items on the cold cuts platter was raw minced pork. It can sound rather disgusting, coz we dun normally eat pork this way... but if I didn't tell you what it was, you'll look and taste it and think it was minced smoked salmon. Very nice spread on bread.


We shared a hot dish for the main course - a variety of sausages and some black pudding. And yes, the black pudding is the one that's the darkest.
This was a nice dish... but a little too salty for my liking.


Dessert was yummy... sorta like berries with cream... the sourness of the berries helped cut the saltiness of the main course.. and coz I love all the different types of berries, I enjoyed this course a lot.


Our place in Koln was very very nice and comfortable... it was in the SG equivalent of a shophouse, a 2-storey apartment (sorta). There were cooking facilities which we didn't bother to use in the upper floor which functioned as a sorta living-cum-dining room. The lower level was the bedroom and toilet. And it was extremely affordable, in comparison to the hotels there. I guess when you're staying somewhere for a week, however nice a hotel room may be, there's just something about a place that looks like a proper home that's just extra comforting.


One thing I did like a lot about Germany was the trees and flowers... lots of cherry blossom trees, colorful flowers... and coz it's temperate climate, the grass is of course different, the field not quite so muddy, and a pleasure to sit down on.


And now I'm getting back to work... more to come...

***

I wish you'll realise just how smart and beautiful you are... if you do care for him, you'll let him go, so he'll learn that he cannot get away with such actions and hopefully, he wun hit the next girl he gets together with.
Forgive him, yes... you should forgive him... but you have to let him go, for his sake, and yours. There's only this many times you can protect and defend him - dun let the last time you defend him be the time you're lying in hospital. Even if you dun care about your own well-being, you should make sure your parents dun have to suffer seeing his blows on their daughter's face.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home