Saturday, August 09, 2008

 

Because it is National Day...

... I would like to take some time to appreciate a man who is definitely a Singapore Icon.

In case you're wondering, no, it's not MM Lee, though he is a great man too (regardless of what the critics say). I just thought I'll take some time to appreciate someone who's often not appreciated.

I'm talking about Dick Lee, the great talent who, especially in the 80's-early 90's, didn't just just write songs, he paid attention to our local cultures, and 'reinvented' ethnic folk songs.

Although he has written songs that poke fun at our island and *cough* our government, on the whole, I think he really does love this place.

Here's a good example of his music, a national song of sorts:


Lol... I was soooo happy when I found this video... now, I'm looking for the NDP one - there was one year when Dick was creative director for the NDP, and he performed this song at the National Stadium, with a mobile ship and all. If anyone has that performance, please let me know!

At his 30th anniversay concert in 2004, Dick also sang this as his finale song with an additional stanza. As he introduced the song, he said that he was trying to create "folk songs for our future generations"... I'm glad someone is trying.

You can view that performance here.

Another video of Dick Lee's which I recently found was this... some of you may remember it:


Wasn't Jacintha Abisheganaden such a beauty? She still is one.. and I like her voice.

Now, this one... this one is just priceless:


Such a beautiful song.. when I came across it in YouTube, I was like, "Oh.My.God!!!! I can't believe there's a clip of this!"

*Giant Grin* It's just one of those songs which make you go "Awwwwww...." when you hear it.

And well, just because... remember this one? Well, at least some of you may remember the Indonesian folk song which Dick incorporated - wait for the chorus, and at 3min, you get the stanza.

Isn't this all nostagic? Lol... wait til you listen to this one.

Anyway... enjoy the fireworks this evening, people!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home