Tuesday, January 06, 2009

 
Had to be out for a little while today...

When I reached the bus stop, I decided to check out the bus routes to make sure I was at the right stop. There were two people standing right in front of the display, a man and lady about my age (or slightly older). Another lady was already trying to look at the routes, but because the couple was standing right there, totally oblivious (or plain rude), the lady had to stretch her neck to peek over their shoulders.

After that lady left, I stepped forward and said politely to the couple in English, "Excuse me. I'm sorry, but I would like to take a look at the bus routes."

The couple stepped aside for me, and as I moved to look at the display, I heard the man remark to his lady companion in urban China-Chinese (aka still understandable, without the thick accent), "She cannot speak Chinese, is it?" in a 'I-am-disgusted-at-this-Chinese-without-roots' tone; you know how some China-Chinese view us Singaporean Chinese.

I was surprised. Firstly, if you'll look at the couple, you'll think they were just extremely fair Singaporean Chinese; they didn't look Chinese-Chinese, if you know what I mean - without trying to sound the slightest bit racist.

But it didn't really matter where they were from. What really surprised me was how they expected me to speak in Chinese... that was really what got to me.

So I turned to them, smiled sweetly, and said in English, "I apologise if I have confused you. I am an ethnic Chinese and I do speak Mandarin, but this is NOT China.

"This IS Singapore."

Then I turned back to the board.

They were still looking shocked when I walked away from the board.

Ahh... so sweet, such a wonderful feeling... to stick one up them.

Comments:
This is where I'd go "Go home to China, you F**Ks!".

I'm sorry, I hate it when I speak English to these China runaways, and they respond to me in Chinese. I mean, what the hell??

And it doesn't help many of them are in the service sector too.

Advice to them: learn to speak English, or they can all go back to farming in China.
 
The problem for me, is not so much the inability to speak English, but rather, the unwillingness to use it.

I've encountered Mainland service staff who can only speak a little English; they're embarrassed about that, and they try their best. I understand if they haven't been here long enough to speak properly, but hey, if they're making the effort, I'm willing to be patient and let them practise.

BUT.. it's those Mainland service staff who speak in Chinese when you're going on in English, and they're making no effort at all, not even with the "Hello"s or the "Thank you"s. Their 'take it or leave it' attitude irritates me.

So ya, for those in the latter category, I'll agree with you and say "Go home to China, you F**Ks!"
 
Hey Dude:....And when some Colonialists thought/said the same about your grandparents you call them racist?
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
My problem is the contrary. I don't speak Chinese (a smattering of Hokkien and Cantonese bad words is all)and when I lived in S'pore Chinese speaking staff be it in the Civil service or coffee shops looked at me like I was from another planet.I ended up speaking with my hands(!). I know they probably knew useful English expressions but they didn't seem to want to make the effort.As odd as it may seem I often prefered dealing with Malay or Indian personelle.I don't mean to sound racist but I thought they seemed more open.
 
Hi SG Fairy, i sympathised you beacause i have also encountered this kind of things a few times in my life before. Well for instance when i speak english to my mum, instead of speaking in english back to me, she replied back to me in the most ugly language of this earth which ic mandarin. by the way u can add me at ilikesatay@hotmail.com for my msn. See you. wat's ya name by the way sg fairy?
 
Not sure if you feel that - I find China Chinese are very much like american but in diff version.. They give me the feeling they are great and etc plus all the talks abt China is getting stronger and etc.. India indians are even worse..
 
Ask them to go back to where they came from lar! You go girl!
 
Yoooo Hoooo!
Anybody home???!!!
 
This blog is DEAD!!!
Like a ghost town its creepy to visit this space.So I'm saying goodbye to any ghost or spirit that wanders in here.Maybe the spirit of SG who is perhaps dead...?I'm taking this site off my bookmarked list.
So Goodbye everyone and its forever.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home