Sunday, August 14, 2005

 

Political Science Dinner... where we all sit around and pretend to be politicans

Well ok, so it wasn't exactly like that.

We were all just students (I pretended that I was still a young undergrad) who sat around, enjoyed the nice buffet spread, and talked a bit with our lecturers. There were also, of course, speeches etc... but hey, you need to let your head of department speak if you want him to sponser most of the cost of the dinner.

At first, I was a little reluctant to go because I've always spent saturday nights lazing around at home. But there was going to be a presentation by 2 friends about the Indo trip so I went to give support.

I must say, the presentation was very very good. Great job, Simon and Shida!
Hehe.... it was so very funny, the manner by which they tallked about the constraints we faced for the trip. Apart from the usual shit about how parents worried for our safety etc, they did spend quite a bit of time on our budget. Like Shida said, "more money is always welcome!" I'm sure our Arts fac Dean, Vice-Deans, and head of department got that message, crystal-clear.

But you know what I enjoyed most about the dinner? It was the chats etc. Lol, by the time we were half-way through the evening, I was wishing that I had wore a sign around my neck which said "The new job I got is about credit assessment and management" and blah blah blah... coz people were coming up to me and congratulating me on having clinched a job so quickly. Gosh, I tell just one person, and word gets around so fast.

I met Ben there too.... He got a job in MFA!!! MFA!!!! I'm so jealous! To sum it all up, his job is sorta like a combination of politics and Arts Club.... sigh... I want a MFA job too! But ok lah... I'm quite happy with this job I got... it pays quite well, the hours are normal, so ya, no complaints.

After the dinner, Mimi, Wani, Mich, Andy and I went for kopi. We walked all the way to this Malay coffeeshop behind Boat Quay, sat around, lim kopi, and talk cock sing song for a while. I really enjoyed the time spent with them... it was so relaxed and meaningful.

I suppose that when you're seeing the same faces day after day for a month.... you create this almost special sort of friendship with these people. You would have seen the good, the bad and the ugly sides of them, been with them when they were all dressed up in formal attire, and also when they're in sleep gear. So the way the friendship built up, in this unique manner, would have created a different special sort of bonding.

So I am very glad I went for the trip. I did not just return a more-informed individual, but I came back with a new batch of friends. And if I haven't said it before, let me now tell you guys this: I feel very privileged to have known you people.

We were talking about how we'll meet up soon to catch up etc... let's make sure we do do that, ok?

Oh, we're not going to be voting after all... darn!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home