Monday, November 28, 2005

 

Do I frigging look like I'm actually bothered I am single???

So I bumped into an old jc friend today. She introduced the guy next to her as "my friend Z" but I figured she was just too shy to admit that weird man was her boyfriend. Anyway, we did the obligatory 'pretend-to-hyperventilate-with-excitment-over-not-meeting-for-years', and I gave her my handphone number and told her that yes, I'll hold her to her word to contact me so we can meet and catch up like old times... ya right... we were never THAT close.

And she calls me after dinner.

You mean, you really saw me as a good friend? To me you were just a girl I'll wave hi to if I bumped into you in school.

"Hey, it's me, B! How are you?" and blah blah blah blah blah...

"By the way, just now you say you no bf right?"

"Yup!"

"Oh.... (that tone hints that something terrible is about to happen)... you remember Z? You saw him just now. He say you very sweet looking leh, and ask a lot of questions about you. I think he's interested in you!"

Now, wait a minute. From what I can recall, I was in an old stinky pair of jeans and a faded tee earlier on in the day. I was makeup-less and probably had a 'fuck off' look on my face when I met them coz I had been busy thinking about the wondrous comfort of my bed and ooh why am I not in it now...
And that's sweet-looking????

And I do believe we're waayyyy past the secondary school phase of "He keep talking to you, he like you lah!"

"Oh really?"

"Ya lor... he kept asking and asking and say your hair very nice, you smile very sweet... confirm he interested in you!"

"Ok... (not sure where this is leading)"

"So you want or not? Go watch movie or something with him lah! He got no gf, and you also no bf, perfect timing! And aiyah, nowadays, people finish studying liao, next step is to marry right? So go with him lah! He's a very nice guy one! I confirm!"

So if he's so nice, why dun you go out with him?

"Err... no lah.... thanks but I'm not really keen. Anyway, I'm so busy nowadays..."

"Aiyah, then just find a little time lah! Half hour also can! Just go out, drink coffee or something lor! He really very nice one! You know *giggles*, like a good catch?"

Again I repeat. If he's that good, why don't you 'go steady' with him?

Anyway... she kept it up for what felt like ages, til I had to fake a "my mother calling me... sorry lah, but I really not interested, ok? got to go, bye!"

Ok....

For goodness sake, the guy was so urgh! Seriously! I'm not one of those 'I wun go out with you unless you're good-looking' type, but well, a presentable appearance would suffice. But this guy looked like the total nerd, you know, like the sort you see in the NUS engineering or computing faculty?? Ya, something like that. His glasses were so thick, and he was dressed really sloppily and he spoke like... it just wasn't so fluent.

I wouldn't have been so offended if the guy had looked half-decent.
Yes, go ahead and accuse me of being a superficial bitch. But I do like a man who knows at least how to speak well. And he's the nerdy type! Do I look like the nerdy type to you??? (I'll slap whoever says yes) I have nothing against computer/engineering/science etc type of people... but you can divide them into sub-groups: the super nerds, and the relatively decent type. And I do not have a thing for the former.

Next... what really pissed me off was this...

Do I fucking look like I am desperate to get attached and married???

Contrary to popular belief, there are women out there who are happy to be single you know.
So ok fine, you could argue that my present state and the nature of the relationship I am currently in qualifies me as being 'attached' in the vanilla eyes. But B had to go so far as to bring marriage into the picture! I'm not sure what the future will be for me but I'm in no hurry to get married. I am very happy with the current 'arrangement' and I'll just live one day at a time, enjoying to the fullest every moment with Him.

Put it this way, not every life has to go the 'boyfriend-then marry' route. Some people think that if they do not have that, then they are inadequate, something must be wrong with them, "why does no guy want me?" and all that crap. I call that a lack of confidence.

The entire attempt to set me up on a blind date/matchmake me was amusing for a short while. But it got irritating when I realised she felt she was doing me a favour, saving me from singlehood. Sure, by all means, if you find someone who looks like a Greek god/has a brain/is loaded, you can introduce us and make sure that he takes me somewhere posh for the blind date. But please do it only because you just thought the both of us will enjoy making friends.

If you wanna set me up because you think "Oh poor thing... no boyfriend! Must find her someone!", then you had better be prepared for a slap from me. My dear mum tried once to set me up with 'this nice guy I met during the church camp' and I told her I did not appreciate such interference, in a nice manner of course. Because surprise surprise, I actually do enjoy not having a vanilla boyfriend, and yup, I do not rate marriage as a necessity for a successful life.

So if B ever contacts me again to set me up with Z or any other guy...

I promise to be totally polite and tactful when I tell her to fuck off.

Comments:
Hey babe,

Hahahahahahaha.

Got that laughing fit over with. But I ain't laughing at you, its more of a laughing with you.

Actually you have it good. In my case its...

"Div, remember me, your aunty X from Y town. I'm your mother's cousin's uncle's wife's sister's daughter. Oh by the way, what are your plans for the future? You must get married to a good boy your parents choose for you. I have a horoscope with me. Do you have yours?"

Believe me, this is occuring at an alarmingly increasing frequency. Gah

My dad cheekily told me that I ought to reject the horopscope chart and ask for HIV blood test results.

Anyhow, here's to perisiting in being Single, which ranks below the persuit of power as the primary occupation of the human being.

Ok, shall not bore you on your blog, that seems too much of an annoyance. [more than I usually am anyways ;) ]

Love,
Div
 
Post a Comment

<< Home