Sunday, November 13, 2005

 

I do have a life you know..

Just because I am not married, do not have a boyfriend (as subjective as that may be)... that does not mean that I do not have a life.

I understand that as a youngster who has just come out into the 'real' world, I have to work hard for the next 5 years at least and make sure I'm 1-2 steps higher up the corporate ladder by then.

But I do not appreciate how bosses just take it for granted that if you are single, you'll devote yourself 24/7 to the company.

First, it is unfair to me - my colleagues being married/attached does not mean that then hence they should have it easier. What a stupid, old-fashioned way of thinking!

Second, life does not evolve about the husband or boyfriend. I may have none of that, but it does not mean that I have nothing else. I have my family, and my friends.
How could you possibliy say that that is different? How could my family responsibilities be different from yours? So what if you have a husband and a kid to take care of? That doesn't mean your status, level of responsibility is heavier than mine? I am the eldest daughter of a family where though we, by the grace of God, have been able to live pretty comfortably, still have to sell our apartment - we tell ourselves that it is because we dun really need all that space now, but it's just to make us feel better about the fact that hopefully after the sale, we'll have money leftover to settle the debts. I have a father who insists on piling salt on his food, eat canned fruits, when He's getting headaches caused by His high blood pressure. And He bloody hasn't gone for his bi-annual checkups as the doctor ordered to make sure the cancer stays away for ages. My brother is a little pathetic pain of an ass who's going to end up in ITE (not that I have a thing against ITE grads) just because he's too lazy to use the intelligence he has. He thinks life will forever be all nice and rosy and that money grows on trees - I think I will slap him across the face very very soon if he continues in that self-absorbed state where it is all just "I, me, mine"... a real piece of shit really.

And yes, surprise surprise, I do have friends and a special someone.

So dun expect me to give 100% of my time to the company. I will stay back late if there is urgent work that needs to be done - I am a responsible employee.
But I am no slave to the company. The company is not my life.
I may not be married or have a boyfriend but that does not mean I do not have other things to do. Just coz others are married or attached doesn't mean that they have greater privilleges.

I will damn well work hard for my career.... but I hate it when people assume that, "oh, SGfairy is not attached mah, so she can do this extra stuff lah!" And I do not appreciate being taken for granted.

And it pisses me off the way my boss seems to appreciate the other girl more than me. Perhaps he is harder on me coz he thinks I am better and so hence has higher expectations of me... but surely it wun hurt to say a sincere thanks and lighten up a little more with me.

I hope this deal goes through.. and when that happens, He better jolly well give me 100% of the comission.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home