Sunday, November 06, 2005

 

Memories...

I mentioned some blog posts ago that I had been digging into my drawer and found an old book of self-composed poetry. I just thought I'll share a pathetic piece of work, so I can pretend to myself that I am a poet who got my work 'published'.

A sigh;
Pain in my heart,
As tears roll down,
Falling to the ground,
Then disappearing;
Love envelops,
And darkness falls;
Forever, night will stay.

I think when I wrote it back in sec. school, I was attempting to sound all deep and stylo...

This one was during the wrist-slashing period:

Alone in my room,
I cry;
Lying on my bed,
I want to die;
What is life, if it is so full of care,
That we have no time, to stand and stare?

Yup.... my attempt at being a young, dark, angry youth.

Hmm...

I was just going through all my old cards and letters... gosh, the wonders of snail mail.

I think MSN Messager, email, sms and all that are cool, but at the end of the day nothing beats getting a good old-fashioned christmas card, for example. Then of course there are all those friendship letters I used to send/receive from my best friends in secondary school... yes Y.Z., I have kept every letter/christmas card from you... I think I can actually blackmail you with some of the letters you sent me *evil laugh*

And I found this bunch of cards from when I was a month old, a year old.... and 2 pieces of paper where I drew a terrible picture and wrote 'My Mummy' beneath it; just showed them to my mum, and she was like, "I should have written behind them the date you drew those!" Then I got some of the post cards which my Dad sent to me during those years when he was travelling... there was one which was like, "As promised, a picture of the hotel I am staying at... have you gotten more stars for your spelling?" *heart melt*
Those years, I never saw my dad, and overseas calls were so expensive... so I was always looking out for postcards from my dad...

If I have a kid in the future, I am going to keep every single drawing she did when young, write the date behind them, and present them to her when she is 21 or something...

You may think I am a sentimental old fart, but really, it is such a warm feeling that you get when you look through all of these again after so so many years... for some reason, it makes me feel connected, whole... no matter what, our past does make up part of who we are as human beings with all our personalities etc... and knowing that you are still in touch with all of that, makes you feel even more complete. I have friends who do not remember a thing about their childhood, and they wish that they had more pictures, memories etc coz well... it is just nice to have all that.

Maybe I should print out pages of my blog and keep them... all these internet stuff and digital pics are good to have... but when I am older, I'll have to have something tangible to hold in my hands.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home